Thomas Hagan, the only man to admit shooting Malcolm X, was freed today on parole 45 years after he helped assassinate the civil rights leader.
Hagan, 69, has said he was one of three people who shot Malcolm X as he began a speech at the Audubon Ballroom in Harlem on Feb. 21, 1965, but said the two men convicted with him were not involved. They maintained their innocence and were paroled in the 1980s. No one else has ever been charged.
Hagan had been in a full-time work-release program since March 1992 that allowed him to live at home with his family in Brooklyn five days a week while reporting to the prison just two days.
To win his release, Hagan was required to seek, obtain and maintain a job, support his children and abide by a curfew. He must continue to meet those conditions while free. He told the parole board he’s worked the same job for the past seven years. He told the New York Post in 2008 he was working at a fast-food restaurant.
see the full story on www.cnn.com