August 29, 2010
August 12, 2010
August 8, 2010
in honor of Mental Floss Magazine’s 50th issue, they’ve included 50 fun facts they have picked up over the years. below were the facts i found most interesting:
* In the 1970s, Mattel sold a doll called “Growing Up Skipper.” Her breasts grew when her arm was turned.
* Only female mosquitoes will bite you.
* At the 2010 Grammy Awards, Taylor Swift won more Grammys (4) than Elvis did his entire career (3).
* There was a long-lost fourth member of the Snap/Crackle/Pop gang. “Pow” represented Rice Krispies’ explosive nutritional value.
* Kool-Aid was originally marketed as “Fruit Smack.”
* Uncle Sam was based on Samuel Wilson, who worked as a meat inspector during the War of 1812.
* When Woodrow Wilson married Edith Galt, the real Chef Boyardee (Hector Boiardi) catered the event.
* “Jay” used to be slang for “foolish person.” So when a pedestrian ignored street signs, he was referred to as a “jaywalker.”
* M&M’s actually stands for “Mars & Murrie’s,” the last names of the candy’s founders.
Click below to read the other Amazing Facts!
A new 24-page fashion spread in the September issue of Italian Vogue features model Kristen McMenamy wearing oil-soaked black feathered outfits, withering away on a beach. Famed photographer Steven Meisel shot the controversial Gulf disaster-inspired images of McMenamy caught in nets, spitting up oil, and flopping like a dying seal on rocks. But while the images are powerful and striking, we’re left wondering whether they were done in good taste.
i like ’em!